memory, to cost ^23, and ^r per TOO for the letters the inscription may contain. Told him to
chalk the plan in Marylebone Church, which he said he would do, and apply to my sister for the
inscription etc. when wanted.'

After this came letter on letter on business, but on the 28th he left for Hamburg,
and reached Copenhagen on the ist of August. On the loth he took part in a ' Gilde,'
or banquet, given to his old friend Geijer, ' and was sorry to see him both mentally
and bodily sadly altered since' his 'visit to Upsala in September 1843.' On the gth
of September he wrote to the Manager of the Hotel d'Angleterre at Frankfort-on-
the-Maine to keep a room ready for him on the 24th; and on the i yth he set
off to be present at the meeting of Germanische Sprach und Geschichts-Forscher,
which was to be held at Frankfort. On the 25th he reached that city, having done
a little grape-cure by the way, and soon found out the Grimms. He was most
cordially received, and invited to the meeting, attended by about 150 professors and
jurists and as many spectators. There he met most of his old friends, Schmeller,
Massmann, Dahlmann, Pertz, and others, of whom Dahlmann read a paper in his section,
'shewing that the English jury is of Scandinavian, and not of Anglo-Saxon origin/
The meeting was followed by a dinner, of which Cleasby tells that ' it was bad, noisy,
and cold; but, worst of all, that froward Professor Massmann must needs propose
my health after some few others had been given, but when no mention had yet been
made of names like Grimm and Schmeller. It annoyed me exceedingly; however, there
was nothing left for it but to return thanks, and I did so; ending with proposing the
health of the Grimms, the heroes of modern Sprach-Forschung—which was upon the
whole, perhaps, getting out of it as well as I could/ When the sittings of the sections
were over, on the 28th Cleasby says : ' Saw the two Grimms this morning, and con-
versed with them on various points as to the Dictionary, and shall note some of their
remarks/ On the same clay he had ' a final hour-and-a-halfs conversation with Schmeller/
and ' shewed him part of my substantive etc. book of the Dictionary/ The same night
Cleasby left Frankfort, and returned to Copenhagen, reaching it on the 4th of October.

After his return he worked on steadily with his Dictionary; but he now has ' a
spasmodic cough/ for which he called in Bendz, who gave him a ' tinctiira pectoralis
and some herb-tea/ At the end of November Bendz was called in ao-ain, to attend

O '

him for a carbuncle, which kept him in-cloors for some days, and led to six visits from
the doctor; and so, with failing health but still full of work, the year 1846 came
to an end.

The first days of January, 1847, are filled with letters written to England on
business and family matters. On the 28th he notes : ' At a meeting of the Society
of Northern Antiquaries this evening the subject of Egilsson's Poetic Lexicon was
brought under discussion. It was stated that I had given 150 dollars towards the
honorar. and the Society 150 dollars, and that 800 dollars had been regarded as
what he—Egilsson—should have. Some members found that too little, and the Society
agreed to pay him 500 dollars, at 100 dollars per annum. Finn Magnusen moved
that the thanks of the Society should be publicly given to me for forwarding the